Friday, April 11, 2014

A to Z Challenge - "J"


J - as in "Jamaica"

When I was still young, wholesomely round and adventurous, I flew to Jamaica (shortly after that country's independence; things were a bit dicey for tourists). Staying at a small Jamaican run hotel in Montego Bay, I signed up for a bus tour.


"You are lucky. You the only one today," said the native driver as he honked the horn of his small car. Too embarrassed to say 'no,' I got in. Off we went, chicken and children fleeing in panic across the road.

"Do you mind if we drive into the hills? I need to visit my old school for a certificate." What does one say? These hills, by the way, were called "You no come, me no see." I was a little apprehensive, I grant you that.

After an hour's drive, an open air structure appeared around a bend -- fifty little children stopped their recital of the alphabet. When I sat down among them, we all giggled and recited our tables together (it wasn't easy - I only know them by rode in German).
They 'did see' and 'I did come back.'

It was a most delightful day that included hiking way up into the waterfalls of Ocho Rios, stopping by a family road stand and other sites that I would have never seen on a bus. Things back then were still fairly undeveloped and all there was on Negril Beach was an old lighthouse.



What - no boat story?

That evening, treating myself to a nice dinner out, I met the captain with his executive officers from the aircraft carrier Independence. 


And, yes, one of them was a handsome Top Gun pilot. So there! A most delightful evening.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Inge . sounds like a great day - one not expected to be so much fun .. but obviously was .. I enjoyed the read about Jamaica .. and could see the winding road to the school - how fun to sit amongst the kids .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Hilary - Yes, I admit, I was really nervous at first. Going off with some guy? Luckily for me, it turned out great and after he got over a few "macho" comments, he turned out to be a gracious guide.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I'm not sure if I'm more in love with the only adventurer on the bus or the fact that you got to meet the officers on an aircraft carrier?! Sounds like a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Heather and, yes, it was fun. the next day, I took the train up into the mountains where they mined bauxite..but that's another exciting story for another day.

      Delete