Monday, April 7, 2014

A to Z Challenge - "F"


F - as in "Falucca" (also Felucca)



The Nile is the lifeblood of Egypt. Without it, that astounding ancient civilization we still seek to comprehend could not have risen from the sands of its surrounding deserts. The river was - and still is - Egypt's major highway. But, one had to have something that floated.

The falucca (also spelled felucca) is a narrow fast lateen-rigged sailing vessel, often equipped with oars for traveling upstream. Its design has changed little over time.

I quite copiously availed myself of it in KHAMSIN, The Devil Wind of The Nile, as I had to ferry an important messenger from the south down to Ineb-hedj (Memphis). Later on, a party of supposed pilgrims sailed and rowed their way up the Nile, through the dangerous 'narrows' and past marauding bands of desert bandits. Because of the early falucca, a royal bark, and ponderous war and transport barges, I was able to sail the early Nile in my imagination.


Hence, I am thankful for the gift of the Falucca.





2 comments:

  1. I have never visited the Nile, nor heard of a Falucca until now! Thanks for the lesson, there. ;)

    I do hope someday to visit Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Inge .. I've always loved the look of Feluccas ... and their history .. good to be reminded .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete